Excited to present MindStim, A quality neurostimulation device using the technology of tDCS.
Neurostimulation is gaining momentum as an alternative to pharmaceuticals to affect cognitive ability and to treat psychological disorders. Over the next few years there will be more neurostimulation devices produced for general commercial as well as medical use.
TDCS is a type of neurostimulation that has grown through a large early adopter community on the one side and a growing research use on the other side. The medical use has been limited mostly to brain stimulation clinics using medical devices for off label purposes.
In the current regulatory environment, tDCS is not regulated, but there is so much promise for tDCS for medical uses, and when you consider the research, there is more convincing evidence for tDCS success for medical uses like depression and stroke, compared to lasting cognitive changes. Hence we at Human Bioelectric want to develop a tDCS medical device. And that requires extensive production engineering, extensive 3rd party safety testing, and then the clinical trials start (hence the Indiegogo campaign), and this well before any kind of regulation for general medical use.
Our product is MindStim (drawing of prototype below).
MindStim is a full-featured, hand-held, quality tDCS device designed for safety and ease of use. This is what we have packed inside:
- Clear current display
- Very easy to use switch arrangement to select L (1.0mA, 1.5mA, 2.0mA)
- 20 minute timer
- two levels of overcurrent protection
- Current turns off with poor electrode connection (falls off head etc.)
- Low battery indicator and reverse polarity battery protection
To help provide the funding to develop MindStim into a medical tDCS device, we are having an Indiegogo campaign near the beginning of May. For now our gifts will be:
- ePamphlet on tDCS (all the important information on tDCS use, montages, research, w/ pictures, drawings, keeping it clear and simple)
- Cognitive kit (Cognitive Enhancement Device), our 1st generation tDCS device: simple, safe, reliable, easy to use)
- MindStim (Cognitive Enhancement Device), our CED version, with the full features, and quality design and manufacture (but not tested as a medical device yet).
In the next few weeks, I will be releasing useful material about tDCS, updates on the MindStim development, and information on the Indiegogo campaign. Find out what's going on by leaving your email in the "follow by email" section.
Producing a medical device is long and expensive, but tDCS has so much promise and may be able to help so many people. Please support when the campaign starts.